Ulefone has introduced its entry level smartphone S9 Pro on June 2018 with features to beat even the best value for money smartphones presented by other competing brands. However, its most boasted out feature is the integrated Face Identification or the Face ID module. Nevertheless, this smartphone also flaunts a lot of other features to explore.
Design and Display
The S9 Pro exhibits a beautifully carved out sleek and concise body with dimensions of 147.8 x 70.5 x 8.8 mm, that is comfortable to get a hold of without slipping. The aesthetics have been developed in accordance to the widely accepted curved edges design with UV coating on the rear end of the phone making it scratch resistant. It comes loaded with a rear mount fingerprint scanner capable of unlocking the phone upto 5 IDs and 360* identification within just 0.1 sec.
It flaunts a 5.5 inch HD + IPS LCD capacitive touch screen display with 720 x 1440 pixels in resolution and 293 pixel per inch density. With rather thin bezels, the screen covers up to 75% of the screen-to-body ratio featuring 18:9 aspect ratio. For extra protection, the phone comes 2.5D Curved Glass. It also has a rear loudspeaker powered by the AW8736FCR chip.
The S9 Pro is e beautiful carry to carry with just 8.8mm of thickness and is available three color variants of Gold, Blue and Black.
The S9 Pro comes equipped with MediaTek MT6739 chipset built on 28nm process technology and CPU powered by the ARM Cortex A53 Quad-core processor with a clocking speed of 1.3 GHz. Furthermore, visuals are enhanced with the GPU being powered by PowerVR GE8100 graphics card with 570 MHz of clocking speed.
The S9 Pro has been built for keen multitasking and comes equipped with a 2 GB RAM for seamless transition from one app to another with a memory speed of 667 MHz. It also boasts an internal storage capacity of 16 GB which is expandable up to 128 GB. However, any external memory card uses the Sim 2 slot as no dedicated memory slot has been provided.
The phone typically operates on Android 8.1 Oreo.
Camera Imaging & Videography
The S9 Pro boasts a combination of two cameras (13 MP + 5 MP) engraved at the rear side of the phone as the primary camera enhanced with a CMOS sensor for enhanced in-depth photos using professional bokeh mode. A 5 MP camera is also located on the forefront of the phone to be used as the secondary camera. The phone also comes equipped with a dual LED flash for clicking vibrant images even in the darkest possible situations.
The front camera also exhibits a couple of other features including Portrait Mode, Autofocus, Touch Focus, Face Detection, Smile Detection, Geo Tagging, Panorama Mode, HDR Imaging, Digital Zoom, Self-Timed Imagery, Burst Mode and Pro Mode amongst other advanced manual settings for great pictures. The front or the primary camera also captures 1080 pixel videos at 30 fps.
The secondary camera features Face Detection, Beauty Mode and Wide Selfie Mode for enhanced selfies without any flash whatsoever. It is also capable of capturing 720 pixel videos at 30 fps.
Network & Connectivity
The S9 Pro comes equipped with two Nano Sim slots each supporting 2G, 3G, 4G, GPRS and EDGE with dual standby mode. Apart from these, the phone also supports:-
- Bluetooth 4.2 with integrated A2DP, Wi-Fi (supports standards 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, 802.11n 5GHz), Dual Band and Wi-Fi Hotspot for active media transfer
- A-GPS, GLONAS & GPS for convenient navigation
- Micro USB 2.0 for active charging
- SAR measured at 0.282 W/Kg on the head and 0.894 W/Kg on the body
- FM Radio
- Tethering via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
- 5 mm audio jack
- OTA sync
- Computer sync
The Ulefone S9 Pro is empowered by a 3300 mAh Lithium Ion battery with no active fast charging options whatsoever. NO standby time or talk time duration have been disclosed by the company so far.
In case you have missed reading something important, ere is an overview of the complete specifications of Ulefone S9 Pro:-
- Announced: June 2018
- Status: Available. July 2018
- Network Technology: GSM / WCDMA / LTE
- 3G Support: WCDMA: B1 2100MHz / B8 900 MHz
- 4G Support: LTE : 800 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600 MHz
- Number of SIM Card: 2 (Nano + Nano)
- Dual SIM Support: Yes
- Material Type: Metal
- Dimensions: 70.5 x 147.8 x 8.8 mm
- Colour: Blue, Black, Gold
- Weight: Not Disclosed
- Screen Type: HD+ IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen
- Size: 5.5-inch
- Resolution: 720 x 1440 pixels
- Pixel Density: 293ppi
- Screen to Body Ratio: 75%
- Operating system: Android 8.1 Oreo
- Processor: Quad-core 1.3GHz
- Chipset type: MediaTek MT6739
- Graphics Processing Unit: PowerVR GE8100
- Memory Card slot: Yes, up to 128GB
- Internal storage: 16GB
- RAM: 2GB
- Back Camera: 13MP + 5MP
- Front Camera: 5MP
- Back Flash: Yes, dual-LED
- Front Flash: No
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes
- Fingerprint Sensor: Yes (Rear)
- Sensors: accelerometer, proximity, ambient light
- USB: Yes
- GPS: Yes
- 5mm Audio Jack: Yes
- Non removable
- Capacity: 3300mAh
- Type: Li-Ion
- Standby Time: Upto 250 hours
- Talk Time: Up to 18 hours
- Music Play: Up to 25 Hours
- Video Playback: Up to 7 hours
- Web Browsing: Up to 7.3 hours
- 0-100% Charging Duration: Up to 2.5 hours
- Fast Charging: No
- Great primary camera quality
- Dual sim with active 2G, 3G, 4G support
- Sleek design
- No dedicated memory slot
- No fast charging
- Uses old fashioned CPU
The Ulefone S9 Pro comes with 1 year warranty throughout the world which is standard duration. It is a good phone to carry, specifically if you are looking forward to get a smartphone for yourself a mid-ranged budget phone. However, considering all the pros and cons, there are better option available in the market, just to name a few are the Oppo RealMe 1 and Samsung On5 Pro that can be bought for similar price. Furthermore, the MediaTek chipset being used is not preferred for optimum gaming usage and have been known for causing overheating and lagging problems in the smartphones earlier. Therefore, it will be considerable to check out smartphones being manufactured by other brands and sold in the market within the same price range.