AR stands for Augmented Reality. AR or Augmented Reality can be defined as the addition of the digital view to the real world. Augmented Reality is completely opposite to the Virtual Reality, where a user is taken into a virtual world.
VR stands for Virtual Reality. Unlike Augmented Reality, the Virtual Reality creates a 3 Dimensional imaginative or virtual world around a person so that he assumes himself as a part of that imaginative/digital world.
Difference between Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality are:
The scope of AR and VR development:
The advancements in technology are increasing day by day, hence, the need for AR and VR developers is also increasing.
Augmented Reality Developers can find the career options in the following fields:
- Gaming: Gaming is one of the fastest growing sectors of the digital world. There is a huge scope for AR developers in the gaming sector. The popular game Pokemon Go is also an example of Augmented Reality.
- Education: Like gaming, Education is also one of the fastest growing sectors. The AR developers can develop education apps by which students can study anatomy, mathematical models, chemical models, etc. with the help of 3-dimensional virtual images.
- Retail and E-Commerce: By creating an imaginative environment, AR gives ideas to the businessmen about how to attract the customers and give them an experience never before. This can be done by the development of a mobile AR app.
- Real Estate: With the help of AR technology, the real estate companies can show a live model of a house/apartment to their customers. Customers could experience the virtual model of the home in the real world and will be able to take a virtual tour of the interior of a house.
Career options for Virtual Reality developers:
- Gaming: VR headsets are one of the greatest evolutions in the world of gaming. The VR headsets are one of the favorite gadgets of the game lovers. VR developers can enter into the world of gaming for career options.
- Military: The VR headsets can create a virtual world which helps the Military officers to get trained for combat.
- Science: The VR headsets can be used in different fields of science like biology, physics, chemistry, medical, etc. Scientists can study different science models on Virtual Reality gadgets.
- Forensics: Virtual Reality technology can help the officers to investigate difficult tasks by creating a virtual/animated crime scene.
Tools for AR and VR development:
The following tools are helpful for AR developers. These tools are useful for both beginners and experienced software developers, have a look:
- Wikitude: The supported platforms for Wikitude include Android, iOS, tablets, smart glasses (Epson Moverio, Vuzix M100, ODG R-7).
- DeepAR: It supports the following platforms: PC, Android, iOS, Windows, WebGL.
- EasyAR: Android, iOS, UWP, Windows, Mac and Unity Editor are the platforms supported by EasyAR.
- ARToolKit: Android, iOS, Linux, Windows, Mac OS and Smart Glasses are the supported platforms for ARToolKit.
- Kudan: Kudan supports Android and iOS platforms.
The VR developers can refer to the following developing tools:
- Unreal Engine: Unreal Engine sometimes called Gaming Engine is a VR developing tool, which comes with the realistic graphics.
- Unity 3D: It is one of the most widely used tools for VR development.
- Blender: Blender is one of the best and popular 3D modeling software. It is a free and open source and is available for the following platforms: Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Sculprits: Sculprits is 3D modeling software other than Blender. Though the software has limited functionality but performs the single task effectively.
The above-listed VR developing tools are available for free of cost.
How to become an AR and VR developer:
To become an AR and VR developer, one should be of creative thinking. The VR and AR developing requires the understanding of coordinate geometry. Hence, if you want to become a VR or AR developer, you must have a good knowledge of mathematics. Besides this, the VR and AR developing also requires some technical skills, let’s have a look:
- To become a VR/AR developer, you must have the programming skills. If you are of the technical background, it is an added advantage.
- You should have the knowledge of various programming languages, especially C#.
- You should have the knowledge of some of the popular 3D modeling software such as Blender, Autodesk Maya, Autodesk 3DS Max, etc.
It is better to take an apprenticeship from a renowned institute which deals with the VR and AR technologies. The apprenticeship will help you understand the VR and AR technology from the industrial point of view.